Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fried Red Potatoes and Cabbage

We had a very special treat today, not talking about the potatoes and cabbage although they were pretty yummy. No I am referring to a visit from a couple of dear friends from McKinney. We have not seen them since January! I have mentioned them on the blog before - Sharon and Bud. They are a father and daughter who we met while managing the storage facility in McKinney. While traveling from Corpus, where Bud actually lives, back to McKinney they decided to leave the beaten path and pay us a visit. Their visit was way too short but it was really great seeing them. Sorry no pics from their visit but I do have a couple of pics to share of these super yummy potatoes and cabbage.

2 slices bacon
canola oil
1 1/4 lbs red potatoes, cut in large chunks
3 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
Cook bacon in skillet till crispy. Set bacon aside. Add enough oil to skillet to fry the potatoes in. When oil is hot add the potatoes. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, more or less depending on how large your chunks are. Add cabbage and onion, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for an additional 10-15 minutes. Stir in garlic and crumbled bacon. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!

Shared with
 Ms. enPlace Check out all the amazing recipes that will be linked up there this week.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting. I am glad you found me, with my plans of RVing full time I so need to read your blog. I have only been an empty nester for about six months so I am still trying to learn to cook for two. I am following you via email so I will not miss anything:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transitioning to cooking for just two after years of feeding a family can be something of a challenge but it eventually becomes second nature - paring down recipes, dividing meat into smaller portions before freezing and shopping with that in mind as well as remembering that the RV has more limited fridge/freezer space. I still have trouble with that last part, lol.

      Delete
  2. Stopping by from see you in the gumbo...this sounds super yummy. I'm a big potatoes and bacon fan. :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Terry! Thanks for linking up.
    This is exactly how I like to eat cabbage--with bacon and onion. I've never had potatoes added in but I sure do like that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terry! I'm not a fan of cabbage, but this looks so yummy I think I'm gonna try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Love to See Your Feedback