Saturday, January 7, 2012

Creamy Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup

I am participating in the Crazy Cooking Challenge for the first time, hosted by Mom's Crazy Cooking.

Photobucket

For this challenge you must find a recipe on someone elses blog that fits the category for that month. Make the recipe, then blog about it. All recipes are then posted at a specified day and time. This months challenge is chicken noodle soup. I searched throughout blog-land and believe I found the perfect recipe here at  For the Love of Cooking. Of course I had to make a couple of minor changes like dividing it in half and substituting zucchini for the celery. For their original recipe click here: Creamy Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup. I picked this both because it is creamy and it has potato in it - unusual for chicken noodle soup. So here is my pared down, slightly altered version.

1 T olive oil
1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup matchstick carrots
1/4 cup zucchini, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Oregano
Poultry seasoning
1 cube chicken bullion crumbled
Sea Salt and Black Pepper
3 cubes chicken bullion
3 cups water
2 cups  potato, peeled and diced
1 cup roasted chicken, shredded
1/8 cup cornstarch
5 oz can evaporated milk
1 cup rigatoni pasta

Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and zucchini; saute for 3 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly.
Season the cooked vegetables with oregano, poultry seasoning, crumbled bullion cube, sea salt and black pepper, to taste. Heat the three cups of water with the three bullion cubes in the microwave for about 3 1/2 minutes. Set aside 1/4 cup of the broth. Add the other 2 3/4 cups of broth and the potatoes to the seasoned vegetables; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered, 20 minutes or until the potato is tender.
Combine the cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup of broth and mix well. Add cornstarch mix, chicken, evaporated milk and pasta to the broth. Cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Taste and re-season as needed. Serve and enjoy.


12 comments:

  1. looks great - love the idea of using evaporated milk. Happy CCC!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking recipe. I use evaporated milk all the time to add creaminess to soups.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Thai Chicken Noodle Soup

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love creamy soups and the addition of potaotes sounds so good! Stopping by from the challenge (#46).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thicker soups...this looks great!
    #49

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to substitute the zucchini for the celery! I will have to do that next time. I also love the potatoes in the soup. Creamy and delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creamy soups are ever so appealing. Yours certainly is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Love the recipe you choose for the Crazy Cooking Challenge. The combination of ingredients looks delicious! Glad to have found your site thanks to the CCC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We LOVE our RV... so glad you joined us!

    I made Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup! #1 in the linky party, come by and visit if you get the chance!

    Thanks again for participating in my challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never used evaporated milk in a soup--sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Terri, thanks for sharing your recipe for your creamy chicken noodle soup. I have never added evaporated milk before but I sure am going to give it a try. Looks great for this winter weather we are having. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the first time I had ever added evap milk to a soup. Making it creamy and thick made it a hit with the hubby who is not a big fan of soup.

    ReplyDelete

Love to See Your Feedback