Sunday, January 1, 2012

Yummy Breakfast with D&E Jellyworks

While on vacation before Christmas, I tried some really yummy jelly at my mom's. I first sampled the Jalapeno Jelly - very good - mom just kinda walked up to me with some on a spoon and said try this. Like an obedient daughter I opened my mouth and she shoveled it in - it was love at first bite. Then I tried the Jalapeno Cranberry Pecan served over cream cheese with crackers - yum! I was really surprised at how much my mom liked this jelly, she gave up eating anything sweet a couple of years ago. She says it has the right amount of tart from the cranberries and spicy from the jalapenos so that it's not too sweet for her. It's made locally there in Bastrop by a company called D&E Jellyworks.


So good I had to have some! Well my order arrived yesterday. Jalapeno Tequila Lime Jelly - lime green label; Jalapeno Cranberry Pecan Jelly (seasonal item) - white label; Jalapeno Jelly - blue label; and Jalapeno Strawberry Jelly - red label. Yes, all of their jellies include jalapeno!! Their prices are very reasonable too! I think we'll be keeping this stuff in stock.
Each jar had been carefully wrapped in bubble wrap to ensure it arrives safely. Elvira also sends a follow up email asking if it has arrived intact. Along with the jelly they also send a helpful list of serving suggestions.
Unfortunately this morning I was not very creative and just served it with biscuits. Although halfway through my omelet it dawned on me that a little of this jelly on the omelet would have been extra yummy or even used when I sauteed the mushrooms! Well there is always next time.
This is the jalapeno strawberry jelly - so good!

The omelets:
1 small can mushroom slices, drained
1 cup liquid eggs or 4 whole eggs, divided
5 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
Pepper jack cheese crumbles

In small pan saute mushrooms in 1 T butter for about one minute. Set aside. Take 1/2 cup liquid eggs (or 2 whole eggs) and season to taste with salt and pepper, add a splash of milk and mix well. Spray 8" skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat skillet then add eggs. Cook till eggs are done. Top with 1/2 the Canadian bacon and mushrooms and 1 T of the pepper jack crumbles.
Fold over and continue to cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
Serve and enjoy.

Also, stay tuned for more cooking with my new jellies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to See Your Feedback