Sunday, December 4, 2011

Hot Rice

I am posting two variations of this recipe - Mom's Hot Rice is the original recipe my mom gave me and is a yummy side dish, Hot Rice Casserole is my variation of mom's recipe making in a main dish casserole. This is one of those great recipes you can really do anything with making minor changes here and there to suit your taste, mood and ingredients on hand. For example, this time I layered french fried onions, left from last Sundays green bean casserole, with the pepper and shredded cheese.

MOM'S HOT RICE

1 cup rice, uncooked
1/2 lb. grated cheese
Jalapeno peppers, canned, seeded and chopped
1/2 pt sour cream
1 T butter

Cook rice according to directions on package. While hot mix in butter and sour cream. In a greased casserole dish, place half the rice, a layer of peppers (the amount of pepper depends on your taste), then half the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.



HOT RICE CASSEROLE

Meat Mixture
1/2 lb lean ground beef
minced onion
chili powder
sea salt
Brown meat and season to taste. Set aside.

Rice Casserole
1 cup rice, uncooked  
1 cup shredded cheese
1 Serrano pepper, chopped  
1/2 pt sour cream
1 T butter
4 slices american cheese
Meat Mixture
Cook rice according to directions on package. While hot, mix in sour cream and butter.  In greased casserole dish layer half the meat mix, 2 slices of cheese, half the rice, Serrano and shredded cheese. Repeat layers. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.



I have also made this without adding the sour cream and butter, because I simply forgot, and I actually like it this way better. My husband likes it better with the sour cream and butter, so I guess I will be alternating between the two. Serrano peppers are a very spicy pepper so unless you are a fan of real spicy food you may want to stick with the jalapenos or even try bell pepper. I have also layered green onion with the Serrano - yummy! Give it try and let me know what variations you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to See Your Feedback