Sunday, June 3, 2012

Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad

First we need to make the shells for the taco salad. I had a couple of hiccups with this but in the end it worked out. Hiccup #1 - for these to fit in my tiny oven I had to move the rack to the lowest level (my oven has two positions for the rack), this put it right above the heating element causing the edges to begin to burn before the rest of the shell was ready to remove. This led to hiccup #2 - I decided to turn the bowls over at this point to stop the edges from burning, this worked fine except that I removed the foil I had used to shape the bowls, it was too soon for that so my bowls came out very oddly shaped. Would I make shells like this again? They came out both edible and usable so YES I would.

Taco Salad Shells
2 10" flour tortillas
nonstick cooking spray
aluminum foil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wad up aluminum foil to make two cylinders (another idea I saw online was to drape the sheets of aluminum foil over an empty can).
Spray both sides of tortillas and draped one tortilla over each cylinder.
Bake for about ten minutes or until brown and crisp.

Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad
2 taco salad shells
3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
2 Tbsp olive oil
chili powder
garlic powder
sea salt
red pepper
1 large chipotle in adobo sauce, chopped
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 cups Spring mix salad greens
1 small tomato, chopped
1 small avocado, sliced
1 green onion, chopped
cilantro leaves for garnish, optional
sour cream
salsa verde

Chop chicken into cubes. Heat oil in skillet. Add chicken, season to taste with chili powder, garlic powder, salt and red pepper. When chicken is done add chipotle and continue cooking for about two minutes. Divide the chicken between the two shells. Heat beans in microwave for about 30 seconds. Layer on top of the chicken.
Top each with salad greens, tomato, avocado, green onion and cilantro.
Serve with sour cream and salsa verde. Enjoy!

Shared with:
 Ms. enPlace
Check out all the great recipes that will be linked up this week!

6 comments:

  1. Lol! We are thinking chicken salad this week! Except yours looks ever so much yummier. I do love avocados!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now I am hungry! Hugs and wishes for a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and hope you have a great week as well.

      Delete
  3. oh wow, i love the looks of this salad, especially with the homemade salad shell. i've never thought of making them at home, but what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From start to finish, this is so much fun! You really can't go wrong with chipotle and avocado. Thank you for linking up. Sorry it took me so long to come by.

    ReplyDelete

Love to See Your Feedback