Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Saucy Beef Bangers

The term bangers for sausages is a new one for me. So of course I had to find out why they were called this. It turns out it began in the early 1900s but became more common during WWII. Due to rationing, sausages would be made with water making them likely to explode under high heat if not cooked properly. So they became known as Bangers because they were likely to go bang during cooking. You can look up more info on this HERE.

Now on with the recipe. I pinned the recipe for Saucy Pork Bangers about eight months ago. I had to deviate from the original due to the fact that there was no chutney to be found at my local heb and I had no desire to make any. The recipe did not specify any particular type of chutney, just chutney but absolutely NO kind of chutney whatsoever to be found at this store! I was surprised since this is a fairly large store and due to the wide variety of chutney, you would think they would have at least one.
Anywho, I found a sauce/spread that I thought would work nicely with the flavors in this recipe. It turned out GREAT! I have sauce leftover and am trying to decide how to use this wonderful, yummy stuff - I am thinking pork chops!
Another, more obvious switch would be that I had grabbed beef sausage out of habit, rather than pork. I really like the beef much better! Oh, and my oven doesn't like to work at low temps, very frustrating - it goes off in the middle of cooking but is less likely at higher temps - STRANGE! So I ended up simmering these on the stove top.

1 pkg sausage links, 12-16 oz
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 med/lg onion, chopped, 1 1/2 to 2 cups
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup beef broth
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
8 oz tomato sauce
1/2 cup worcester sauce
1 tsp louisiana hot sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 sm/med tomatoes, chopped, 1 1/2 to 2 cups
1 8.25 oz jar roasted bell pepper and chipotle sandwich spread

First, brown the sausage in a large skillet. I like mine VERY brown.
Remove from skillet and set aside. Heat the oil in same skillet, then add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is softened. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring well.
Simmer for five minutes. Return the sausages to the skillet and continue simmering for an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You don't know how happy I am to have found your blog. I'm Laurrie and I write the Baked Lava blog. I'm a full-time RV'er and I am cooking my way around the world all in my little 29 feet of space. Drop by if you'd like...would love to have you! www.bakedlava.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Checking out your blog and adding it to my reading list!

      Delete

Love to See Your Feedback