Friday, November 1, 2013

Meatloaf for People Who Don't Like Meatloaf

Neither my husband nor I are fans of meatloaf but this recipe for Cowboy Meatloaf from Chewin' the Fat in the Kitchen is AWESOME!! We LOVE it!!! I no longer have Mamie around to make this for me so I finally had to break down and make it for myself. It is super yummy and unlike any meatloaf I have ever tried before.

1 lb lean ground beef  (93/7)
1 lb not so lean ground beef (80/20)
1/2 lb ground pork sausage
12 oz thick sliced bacon
1 sleeve of saltine crackers from a standard box
1 large egg or 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
1 cup ketchup (more or less)
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper +
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
BBQ sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl mix together ground beef, pork sausage, crackers, egg, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, black pepper, cajun seasoning and onion, combine well.
Add ketchup and mix in using additional ketchup if needed, you want the mixture to be moist but not soggy.
Set aside.  Take the bacon and on kitchen counter, cookie sheet or other flat surface weave the bacon. I found the easiest way to do this was to lay out half the slices one direction, then weave in the remaining half starting at the middle and working out.
Sprinkle the bacon with coarse black pepper. Brush with BBQ sauce.

Take the beef mixture and shape into a large ball and place in the middle of the bacon. Wrap the weaved bacon around the beef mixture. (Mine didn't wrap quite all the way around, I just put the uncovered portion to the bottom.) Place the bacon wrapped meatloaf in baking dish.
Bake for 30 minutes. Using turkey baster remove juices from meatloaf and set aside. Continue baking meatloaf checking every 15 minutes and removing the excess juices until meatloaf reaches and internal temperature of 165 to 170, this should take about one hour to one and a half hours. You will use 1/4 cup of the reserved juices to make your gravy, I will share that recipe next week.
Once meatloaf has reached the necessary internal temperature and the bacon blanket is nice and crispy, serve and enjoy! Tip: I put mine under the broiler for a few minutes to get the bacon extra crispy.

Shared with:



4 comments:

  1. I remember this meatloaf when it was first posted at Chewin' the Fat. My family and I do like meatloaf so I think we;d be over the moon with this one. I don't know why I still haven't made this. Thanks for the reminder and for linking, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken me quite a while to make this but as long as I had Mamie close by I didn't need to, lol.

      Delete
  2. I love meatloaf and do does my hubby~ This is the best looking meatloaf I have ever seen! I have got to try this recipe:) Thanks for sharing~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of us even like meatloaf - except for this one! We love this recipe!

      Delete

Love to See Your Feedback