Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pulled Pork

This pulled pork was awesome! It was a little spicy for my MIL, but not really spicy at all for the rest of us. I also like the idea that this recipe comes from Diabetic Living - BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches so it's a little healthier than most pulled pork recipes.

1 large yellow onion, cut into thin wedges
1/2 cup water
2 to 2 1/2 lb boneless pork sirloin roast
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 cup low-cal BBQ sauce (I used my homemade, not real sure if it's low-cal)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp ground ginger

In a large slow cooker combine onions and water, set aside. Trim fat from roast and if necessary cut to fit in slow cooker. In a small bowl combine the chili powder, 1/4 tsp cumin, black pepper and garlic powder.
Sprinkle over the meat and rub in. Place meat in slow cooker with the onions. Cover and cook on low for about 8 to 9 hours or on high for about half that time.
While roast is cooking, in large bowl combine BBQ sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger and the remaining 1/4 tsp cumin; set aside.
Remove roast and onions from cooker using slotted spoon and place on platter. Using two forks shred the roast and add to bowl with sauce, tossing to coat.
Serve on buns or tortillas. Enjoy!

Shared with:

5 comments:

  1. I have a big weakness for pulled pork. Love that you used your own homemade BBQ sauce in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried a few dif recipes for pulled pork and believe this is my fav so far!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I want a big ole sandwich right now. I should no better than to visit before bed.
    Thank you for linking, Terry. If I don't see you before then, I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I usually do my blog visits right before work, then if we're not busy I end up wanting to eat all night, lol. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete

Love to See Your Feedback