Thursday, March 6, 2014

Easy Pineapple Upside-down Cake

My father-in-law's birthday was last month. My hubby suggested something with pineapple when I asked what kind of cake his dad would like. So I decided on pineapple-upside-down cake. I later discovered that, although my FIL does love pineapple and he loved this cake, my dear hubby had an ulterior motive for suggesting pineapple. He is trying to lose weight and doesn't like pineapple, he knew anything with pineapple would not tempt him. I had not made a pineapple upside-down cake in YEARS! One day I will have to make the recipe I used to make when my kids were little, like this one it was easy peasy! I found this recipe on the Betty Crocker website. Very easy and very yummy!

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 20 oz can pineapple slices in juice
1 6 oz jar maraschino cherries, drained
1 box yellow cake mix (I used betty crocker super moist like the original recipe suggests)
canola oil and eggs - amount listed on box

Drain juice off pineapple into a measuring cup, adding enough water to make one cup. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In 13 x 9 pan melt butter. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange pineapple slices on the brown sugar. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring and the remaining cherries around the slices; press gently into the brown sugar. Mix the cake batter according to the directions on box, substituting the reserved pineapple juice for the water. Pour the batter over the pineapples and cherries. Bake for 38 to 42 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Place a heat proof serving dish upside down over the top of the pan (I actually used a cookie sheet), turn dish and pan over. Leave the pan over the cake for about five minutes so that all the yummy brown sugar can drip down onto the cake; remove pan.
Allow cake to cool for about 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!!

Shared with:

 Ms. enPlace


Thursday favorite things

2 comments:

  1. You know, I've never made pineapple upside down cake. My mom made it often for family functions (it was my grandpa's favorite). The ladies I work with would love this. Thank you for sharing, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first in about 20 years. Used to make them for Church bake sales a LOT.

      Delete

Love to See Your Feedback