Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Baked Onion Rings

I found this recipe for Oven "Fried" Onion Rings at Gastronomical Sovereignty. I reduced the oil and onion by half but left the amounts of the other ingredients the same. I have a tendency to run out of breading for these types of recipes and wanted to make sure I  had plenty - this proved unnecessary. Also I did not have buttermilk so I used 1 Tbsp of vinegar (you could also use lemon juice) plus enough milk to equal 1 cup, let stand for five minutes before using. I edited a couple of the ingredients to match what I had, so here is my version of this recipe:

1/2  Large Yellow Onion, peeled & sliced into 1/2" thick rings
2 cups BBQ flavored Kettle-Cooked Potato Chips
15 Wheat Snack Crackers (similar to Ritz)
1/2 cup Bisquick, divided
1/4 cup liquid eggs or one large egg, room temperature
1 cup Buttermilk, at room temperature
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp Canola Oil

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Place the crackers and potato chips in a large ziploc bag, crush. Place on a plate. Place 1/4 cup of the bisquick in a bowl. Mix the liquid egg and buttermilk together in a second bowl; then, whisk the remaining bisquick, cayenne, salt and pepper into the buttermilk mixture.
Working one at a time, dip each onion ring in flour then the buttermilk mixture, and then in the crumb coating, turning to coat evenly. Make sure to allow the excess to shake/drip off between each bowl or you'll end up with just a gloopy mess of bowls and no coating for rings.  Transfer the coated rings to a plate.
Pour the oil onto a rimmed baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and heat just until smoking, about 4 minutes. Tilt the heated pan to coat evenly with the oil. Be careful - it's hot! Lay the onion rings in a single layer on the oiled baking sheet. Bake for about 5 to 7 minutes or until crispy on the bottom side, flip, and continue cooking another 5 to 7 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to drain on paper towels before serving. Sprinkle lightly with salt if desired. Serve with ketchup, ranch dressing or whatever you prefer. I normally use ranch dressing with onion rings but these were so good by themselves that I didn't use anything. Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. I LOVE onion rings, but have never tried to make my own...but you make it look easy! I think I am going to have to try this :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had made onions rings once before using a batter - very messy and deep fried. Won't repeat that one. This recipe is a keeper - it was fairly easy and soooo yummy!

      Delete
  2. Look how cute you are!! They look just like the ones I made! haha - I'm flattered that you liked what you saw on my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

    XO - your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummiest onion rings ever - awesome recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete

Love to See Your Feedback