Thursday, March 15, 2012

Smoky Chicken and Cheesy Potato Casserole - Improv Challenge

This is my second month to participate in the Improv Challenge hosted by Kristen. In this challenge we are assigned two ingredients, then we must create or find a recipe that is new to your blog using both ingredients and have it ready to post on the third Thursday of the month. For more details you can visit the Improv Challenge over at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. The ingredients for this month's challenge are potatoes and cheese. Yum!

I recently purchased a small two quart crockpot, perfect for cooking meals for two. While searching for recipes for my little crockpot I found one I thought would be perfect for this challenge in my BHG New Cook Book. I actually learned to cook using an earlier version of this cookbook as well as another cookbook, I was given both around the time I turned 18 - guess someone thought it was about time I started learning to cook.
I also found this recipe online - Smoky Chicken and Cheesy Potato Casserole. I pared it down for my smaller crockpot and made a couple of other minor changes. For example I did not shred my cheese because the only smoky cheddar I could find was from the deli and instead of thick sliced I ended up with extremely thin slices - so I chopped the slices into tiny pieces rather than even attempt shredding. Just click the link above to check out the original version of this recipe. Here is what I came up with:

Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 of a 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup, I save the other half to make gravy
1/2 cup sour cream
4 oz smokey cheddar cheese, sliced thin and chopped small
1 18 oz pkg Jimmie Dean Bacon Skillets, thawed - diced potatoes, bacon, red and green peppers, and onions
1 1/2 cups chopped Carving Board rotisserie flavored chicken
Spray inside of crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Pour into crockpot,
Cook on low for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Serve and enjoy. Make sure to check out all the yummy recipes in this month's challenge.


4 comments:

  1. Terry! This looks delish! I love that's it's made in a crockpot and how easy it all comes together! A great recipe to combine this month's ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes and cheese are great friends with the slow cooker. I like how there's a little bacon in there for good measure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks really tasty. I love that this is made in a slow cooker.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flavors in this dish sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Love to See Your Feedback