Thursday, November 29, 2012

Broccoli Cheese Soup

With the cooler weather I have been craving soup in a serious way. I have pinned many, many recipes in the last couple of weeks and finally decided to try one. You can find the original recipe HERE. I double the recipe since I was making it for our group of friends here in the park and made one slight change to the ingredients - I didn't have quite enough broccoli, so I substituted chopped green pepper. It turned out super yummy. Due to my dislike of green peppers I decided to chop them a bit finer that what they were already chopped. I didn't want any "big" pieces of green pepper, lol.
The little bit I used, chopped extra small, gave the soup some added flavor without being overpowering.

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup flour
5 cups milk
1 1/2 lb (24oz) Velveeta, cubed
1 16 oz package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
5 oz frozen chopped green pepper, thawed and drained
1/4 tsp black pepper

In dutch oven melt butter.
Add onion and cook until tender, about five minutes. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly, about one minute. Add milk, bring just to the boiling point then reduce heat and simmer for one minute. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook until cheese is melted and soup is heated through, stirring frequently.
Serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to See Your Feedback