Friday, February 24, 2012

Crock Pot Pinto Beans

A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to buy me a new crock pot. I had gotten rid of my old one when we moved into the RV. It was a large six quart cooker and there just was not enough room for it. Besides that cooking for just John and I it wasn't being used. Six quarts is too big for a two person meal. After doing a little research and comparison shopping online, I decided on this cute little two quart crock pot made by rival.
It fit just perfectly between the stove-top and the wall. I had not had a chance to try it out until now. Wednesday night I thought I would try making some beans in my crock pot. My in-laws were down for a few days and my father-in-law loves a good bowl of beans and I thought some beans would go nicely with the burgers we were grilling Thursday. So before bed Wednesday night I put the beans on to soak. Thursday morning I woke up and prepared the beans for cooking. Then, as is common in life, plans changed. No, we didn't receive a new gate guarding assignment, mom and dad decided to head home a day early. They headed out around 9AM Thursday morning. We hated to see them go but we understood they needed to get home. Now back to those beans.

1 1/2 cups dry pinto beans
1 slice peppered bacon
2 Tbsp dried minced onion
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp red pepper

In two quart soak beans in about four cups of water overnight. Drain and rinse beans. Cut bacon slice into one-inch pieces, cook in skillet for about one minute. Place bacon and beans in crock pot. Cover with about four cups of fresh water. Add onion. Cook on high for about three hours then add remaining seasonings. Continue cooking till done, about another one to two hours. Serve and enjoy!

For dessert mom left us this yummy triple chocolate cake she had picked up at walmart Wednesday for Thursday's cookout.
Thanks mom!

1 comment:

Love to See Your Feedback