Thursday, December 6, 2012

Almost Healthy Sloppy Joes

I pinned this recipe a while back after one of my friends here at the park had to go on a fairly strict diet. At the time this recipe didn't quite fit into her diet as she was going to cut out all bread. She is back to eating bread in moderation so I decided to give this a try. It was pretty good! I guess everyone else thought so too since there was barely enough leftover for one sandwich - little to no leftovers is always a good sign! I pinned the original recipe from HERE. I doubled it and tweaked it slightly and this is what I came up with:

2 lb extra lean ground beef (I used 93/7)
2 1/3 cups frozen mixed vegetables (mine had just corn, carrots and peas)
1 2/3 cups frozen chopped green pepper
1 6oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (low sodium)
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp sriracha chili sauce
16 small hamburger buns
American cheese slices

In skillet brown ground beef.
In slow cooker combine ground beef, vegetables, green pepper, vinegar, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, salt and chili sauce.
Cover and cook on low for four hours or on high for two hours.
Serve on buns adding cheese slices if desired. Enjoy!

**For a healthier version use tomato paste with no salt added, whole grain buns and omit the cheese.**


1 comment:

  1. Do you know how often I end up with partial bags of frozen mixed vegetables in the freezer b/c I forget I have them? I could use some up with this! Seems like it would also be good mixed with pasta--my son's favorite thing to eat. Thanks for the recipe, Terry!

    ReplyDelete

Love to See Your Feedback